Tuesday 13 November 2012

Fruity Nutty Muesli Slice


There’s only 3 days until Run Geelong a fundraiser for the kids ward of the Geelong Hospital and I think I need all the energy I can get.  I know I can run the 12km distance now so it’s just a matter of maintaining every bit of fitness I can, eating well and staying hydrated.  Time for some Fruity Nutty Muesli Slice!

I’ve made many versions of muesli bars before but these are my favourite by far.  These morish treats are seriously irresistible and trust me it’s very hard to stop at one.  They have no added sugar, are egg free, have healthy fats including Omega 3’s and are power packed with protein.  And what’s more is they’re nice and soft, a little chewy and great for kids who need energy boost to keep running around all day (and I mean ALL day!)
 
... thought some pictures of the kids at the beach while I was running was a better image than me running!
 
 

You could easily make them without a Thermomix but I find it simply the easiest way to chop the nuts, seeds and fruit nice and finely then gently mix it all together. And as with many of my recipes it’s a flexible and you can substitute your favourite fruit, nuts and seeds.  Actually the original idea came from StephBerg but has a little tweaking for plenty of flavour and extra nutrients.

 

So what are you waiting for?  A healthy treat you simply cannot say no to.



 Fruity Nutty Muesli Slice

2 tbls chia seeds
150g nuts (today I used 60g macadamias and 90g dry roasted almonds)
20g sunflower seeds
20g pumpkin seeds
1 tbls sesame seeds
30g coconut
200g oats
250g dried fruit (today I used  fresh dates, dried apricots, goji berries, and a few dried prunes
½ tsp cinnamon
250g liquid (today I used half apricot nectar and half water but other juices work well too)

Preheat oven to 180°
Add chia seeds to about 40ml water (eg half fill MC) stir then set aside to thicken while you prepare other ingredients
Add nuts to Thermomix bowl and chop for 7 seconds on speed 7
Add seeds and pulse twice on Turbo then set aside
Add dried fruit to bowl and chop for 7 seconds on speed 7
Add all other ingredients and mix on reverse for 30 seconds speed 3 or until combined
Spread into a lined (eg with Thermomat) 20 x 30cm baking dish and press down firmly ( I find a spatula works well)
Bake for 25 minutes then let cool before cutting into slices

Enjoy !

1 comment:

  1. Baking day today and this Mum needs some great alternatives to sugar packed treats. Love this as an option, thanks.

    ReplyDelete