Tuesday 11 September 2012

Stewed Apple and Rhubarb


Catching up with special friends makes you feel all warm and cosy, just like eating this yummy Stewed Apple and Rhubarb.  In this case it was a very dear cousin of mine, a newbie to the Thermomix world, who I visited today.  She treated me to a delicious piece of lemon cake from the Thermomix EDC book and I can honestly say it was perfect.....She’s an amazing mum to her adorable kids, not to mention a business owner and house renovator.  But most of all she’s a great friend who always puts a smile on my face.


The last of the rhubarb...


Today she was steaming some pears for her baby girl in the Varoma of her newly purchased Thermomix which prompted me to share my way of cooking fruit.  This is so quick and easy I either whip this up for the kids for breakfast to top their cereal or for a healthy desert with yoghurt, or sometimes topped with a little custard.


 
While apples are still in full season my rhubarb in the vege patch is just finishing off and it’s time to trim it back and divide a few crowns.  I’d love to add another veggie plot soon and perhaps move the rhubarb there so watch this space.  For now it’s time to pick these last few stems and enjoy.

 
 
Stewed Apple and Rhubarb

Approx 300g peeled and cubed granny smith or other tart apples (3-4 apples depending on size
100g rhubarb stems cut into 2 cm pieces
50g water
A few squeezes of lemon juice
¼ tsp cinnamon

  • Place apples in Thermomix bowl with water, lemon juice and cinnamon
  • Cook for 6 minutes on Reverse speed 1
  • Add rhubarb and cook an extra 2 minutes on Reverse speed 1

Note: Cooking time will vary on the type of apples and how firm or soft you like the end result.  I simply cook for an extra minute at a time if needed.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, what temperature do you cook it at? Thanks Hazel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hazel. 100 degrees on the Thermomix. Thanks for picking that up!
      I'm actually making a batch tomorrow
      Enjoy!

      Delete